Monday, May 4, 2009

V is for Vacations


Derek and I usually head off to Tofino for a week in June, and Mexico for two weeks in September…. but it looks like because of my new job, which I haven’t officially gotten yet – we won’t be able to take a Vacation until December…. and that’s a long time without vacations, probably not for most people… but for the Sun loving, vacation taking people we are, it is.


So our plan was to hop down to Mexico for one week during the middle of May. But a wee piggy flu has created this mass media hysteria, causing tour operators to cancel all Mexico travel. Which isn’t a huge deal…. but this cancellation caused everyone to rebook in Cuba & the Dominican, jacking prices WAYYY up plus there are no direct flights from Vancouver right now… meaning an overnight layover in Toronto, which is lame and ends up wasting 2 days (return) of beach time.


Anyways, so we were looking at going to Hawaii for a week… but flights are pretty expensive for the days we’d need…. and because we can’t do the all inclusive thing there, we’d end up spending a lot more than we wanted to make it a decent vacation……. although Hawaii is still a possibility… I’m looking into it today…..


However, my newest idea is driving down to California & back. Derek and I love driving road trips…. driving to Calgary in one day (10 hours) is no problem (and fun!) for us, and we could totally do a longer day of driving…. so possibly leaving Vancouver and just booking it as far as we can possibly go down in one straight shot. I’ve heard of friends making it to San Fran, no problems in 1 day (Ash… I know you still blog stalk me… I need trip details of when you did it.)


So yea, possibly hitting up the Cali coast – camping/moteling it? Good idea? Anyone out there done this? is 8/9 days waaaay to impossible to enjoy ourselves? Emily, we may end up on your door step in Santa Cruz in a few weeks =)

3 comments:

Nini said...

um...we are just an hour south of san francisco...we live in one of the best surf spots in the nation...um...santa cruz is calling you. emily lives here too...yes, yes...you need to come here.

and...thanks for the sweet comment on my blog...my kids are cute cause they have a good looking dad! you are part of my family too...and you are cute...funny how that works huh?

Ash said...

Yes. I stalk. Well, Google reader does the stalking for me and lets me know when something's going on.

Ang and I did the drive to San Francisco overnight in 12 or 13 hours (can't really remember). I think we left my office at 9pm and got to the hotel at 11am or something like that. I remember it was way before check in time but they were cool with letting us in early. It was a straight forward drive with a lot of different terrain to see and navigate through.

The only crap thing was that the drive back was torturous. All the adrenaline was gone and we were tired. Just give yourself a lot more time coming back than to get there and it would be nicer. Maybe take a different route.

Kelly said...

NINI! Yes, we will need to drop in and see your amazingly beautiful clan.

I just hit up the library and checked out a bunch of California books..... and now I'm set on Napa Valley as well.... this may turn into this crazy, exhausting whirlwind 9 day trip.... but Surf, Wine & beautiful friends are in our future.