Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mighty Neighbourly


Lexi sniffing the air - I love the snow sticking to her fur
It snowed about 10 cm this morning, pushing Vancouver into a full blown snowmageddan. I’m serious, that’s what the papers are calling it – granted other parts of the Lower Mainland did get more snow than us. I’m not a huge snow lover, but as long as I don’t have to drive anywhere I don’t mind a few inches.

There’s a bylaw round here that states you need to have your sidewalks cleared of snow by about 10 a.m., so usually when it snows Derek and I grab the complex snow shovels and will clear the paths. Our complex makes us laugh, there’s a North side vs. Courtyard divide, and usually the courtyard ignores the North Side, meaning they’ll clear all of their paths and sidewalks, but won’t touch ours.

This morning I saw that it was starting to snow, so I waited until the majority of it stopped, grabbed a shovel and started clearing ALL the paths, stairs and sidewalks in the complex, North and Courtyard. After about 45 minutes of shovelling and working up a good sweat, I was literally on my last 3 sections of pavement, when a neighbour came outside and said that he’d do the rest.

I had done about 98% of the shovelling, but my hands were freezing so I was happy to hand it over. Just as I gave him the shovel and was walking away, another neighbor started walking up and thanking him for shovelling all the paths.

How neighbourly of him.



2 comments:

Sally said...

Haha, for some reason this reminds me of the episode of Seinfeld where George buys Elaine a Big Salad at the diner, but doesn't get the credit when his lady friend hands it over and accepts the thanks. Except, of course, George handled it way worse than you. :) You are a lovely neighbor. Hopefully the other neighbor didn't take the credit. We got hit with snow here as well. It's funny how crazy things get around here with a few inches of snow. No one is prepared.

Danielle said...

I bet that was frustrating and even though you may not want to hear it, at least you know that you did the right thing and helped out. It all comes back around, right?!