Monday, February 27, 2012

A queen sized problem & Google in the kitchen


I had been suffering from poor sleeps for several months. I wasn’t sure what was causing them – but was desperate to get a good night sleep.    

We had purchased new bedroom furniture in the fall, so I was nervous that it was our new mattress causing the restlessness, but it didn’t make much sense as the problems started in December, a few weeks after the new set arrived.

As the cold weather progressed and Vancouver was transformed into a damp, miserable place, I was becoming desperate. That’s when I realized that I was waking up uncovered and constantly cold. I would pull on the duvet, only to have my husband cocoon himself back into it 10 minutes later. Derek only sleeps under the duvet if he’s really cold…. Hence the problem only manifested in the winter.

Our queen sized duvet, which worked well on our double bed, was too small for our new queen sized mattress. An annual Sale at the Bay a few weeks ago prompted me to go duvet shopping and purchase a king sized duvet cover. It wasn’t cheap (actually it was free……thanks mommy - she even threw in a new pillow) but money is no object when saving a marriage 


 I’m writing this at the kitchen table as dinner bakes and yummy smells drift my way. I’m making a polish sausage potatoes bake… it sounds fairly simple, and it was. I love to throw in random ingredients into google and then seeing what comes up. Usually I choose the ingredients that are about to expire in the fridge. But thanks to last week’s Costco trip, I have an excess amount of potatoes and sausages.

I’m now waiting for Derek to come home from work so he can be impressed by my housewife talents.

3 comments:

Sally said...

I'm glad you figured it out! Cold sleep is the worst!

Kate Donegani said...

Keith and I started our marriage with a nice new queen-sized bed. Well, we thought it was nice until we got a king. Oh, my God. The best purchase ever. Sleeping in a king bed will change your life. These are early married days, but just you wait. Your king will come.

Danielle said...

Love the sausage dish. Looks yummy! Have to laugh about the previous comment on the king-sized bed. We have always had a king-sized bed and are now talking about downsizing to a queen so we aren't so far apart! Funny how life changes.......