Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The internet is my friend.

Have I ever mentioned I hate surprises? I really do. I dislike the uncertain, I’ve always been nervous in new situations, the obvious would be starting a new job, meeting new people, joining a class or group and even simple things like trying a new restaurant, going into a clothing store I’ve never been in before or trying to drive somewhere I’ve never been. Not many people understand this, or even would believe me – things that seem like they shouldn’t be big deal to anyone, really are huge issues for me.

That is why the Internet is my best friend. I research EVERYTHING before I do it. I use google maps to get exact directions, to locate parking, and find out exactly how many minutes it’s going to take me to get somewhere. I use google to research restaurants, events, concerts, vacations (tripadvisor.com is amazing for this) Disneyland rides, Disneyland hotels, restaurants & menus around my locations. Somethings I can get by with by observing other’s social cues– like ordering a sandwich from a new deli (this took me two months to build up enough courage to do at my work’s food court – the first time I was super anxious, but the second time I didn’t have to think twice about). I have no clue how people lived without the Internet before? Phone calls? Phone calls also make me nervous, and usually I rehearse the conversation in advance so I know what I’m going to say. The internet doesn’t judge if I make a mistake, I can always press the back button.

So if you’ve ever traveled with me and wondered why am I so obsessive compulsive about time, lists and organizing details, now you know.


This anxiety doesn’t bode well for me in the next few months when my living situation & job security (my contract expires) are up in the air. I can already feel my blood pressure rising, and I woke up this morning stressed to the max with my shoulder tightened and my teeth clenched. It’s a story for another day…. Perhaps when it all works out in the end.

I think it’s time to google Xanax.

Ps. My strategy of not digging out my car in the hopes that the snow would magically go away, worked. The trick is to park overtop of a storm grate, so when the flooding rain arrives, the City is forced to dig around and in front of your car to allow the water to drain; thus freeing your car of snow allowing you to drive without anysort of manual labour. Thanks City of North Vancouver – I’ll pretend that $25 dollar parking ticket you made me pay a few months ago went toward the digging labour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They say that when old doors close, new doors open, sometimes a clearing like the one you are entering is indeed a blessing, like stepping out of the dark damp forest into bright sunny meadows with flowers.

Opportunities await you and you have you do not have much to tie you down allowing greater freedom. Maybe this is perfect because in 10 years you might not have this freedom of choice.

Take this time to make lists: 1st list: picture how you want your life to look like when you are 40, then how you want your life to look like when you are 30.
2nd list: what things in life make you happy, what inspires you, what makes you feel good about yourself, what you enjoy.

Then look at the two lists together: Now base your decisions on what you could best be doing to get through this year and into next year with the 5, 15 year game plan.

Some would take the opportunity to travel, others to do volunteer work, others advance their education, others to get fit, others to: relax, knit, develop closer friendships and enjoy life and just let life happen to you. Each path is different, there is no right or wrong way: quite often the best part is not the destination: but the journey itself.

It would appear that so far your judgements and decisions have been good and sound, you know who you are - your strengths and your weaknesses. Knowing and accepting yourself is the best and biggest step in life - many never achieve that. Be true to yourself.

You are fortunate to live in a culture where you get to have a say about how your life unfolds.