Thursday, June 5, 2008

To Camera? Or not to Camera?


I think I’m going to take the plunge this week and buy myself this Camera.

It’s the Olympus 1030SW meaning it’s waterproof, crushproof and washing machine proof! Actually, to give Olympus credit, Derek once ran his NON-waterproof Olympus Digital through the Wash and once it dried, it still worked. So hopefully the Waterproof version gives me similar results. (not that I plan on washing it, although I did ruin a cell phone that way)

Considering I do so much kayaking, surfing and wakeboarding…. and snorkeling…. and sailing… and hiking in the rain…….. it seems like a great investment, and I killed my first Nikon with moisture from a wet hike in New Zealand leaving me paranoid towards electronics.

Olympus has another model, the 770W so I’m kind of torn…. The 770 also has a smaller price tag, but I’m pretty sure the 1030 takes better pictures. I actually know nothing about Cameras and which would be better to purchase, it falls into the clueless about technology and science department of my brain…. Anything to do with technical jargon and numbers shuts my mind down. (hence the Public Relations degree). But I’d like a camera that takes great photos both on and off the water – and I don’t want to purchase a camera that is only good in water.

My best friend Michelle’s dad is a professional photographer and runs a Camera store on the North Shore, so I’m going to pop in and talk to him about it. I’m pretty sure they sell both there, and he’ll give me good honest opinions without the salesman bull**** like at Future Shop or London Drugs.


Now to decide on a colour……

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dig. As for color, I'm into blue if they have it. It seems sporty, but then there's orange, which might be easier to find in a hurry depending on what color gear you have. But lots of times gear is really bright, so black might be the ticket. But you seem to love pink, so don't forget your signature color. :)