Thursday, July 24, 2008

My frustrations with the Passport office

My passport expired a few months ago, I filled out the renewal forms & got my photos taken, but never sent them off. It was always at the back of my mind to renew it, but it wasn’t until we booked our Mexican vacation for September that the urgency to receive it kicked in.

Ever since Canada and the US decided that all flights in-between the two countries required a passport, the lineups and wait times have be long – 2-3 months to get your passport, hours spent waiting in line to apply.

So yesterday I took the day off work, mostly because I was feeling under the weather, actually I have a boarderline sore throat… I just really needed a mental health day and to run some errands. Plus I’ve worked so much overtime this week, and throughout the summer it didn’t even matter. I got a venti latte, a few snacks to keep me going through the long wait and I grabbed a novel that I was excited to start reading.

Yup, there I was trundling down the streets of downtown actually looking forward to my time spent in the waiting room…. As I rounded the corner towards the office I thought ‘hmmm I don’t see a line’ and once I got into the office there was almost nobody in there. I pulled a number to get a place in the line up, sat down in a chair and less than 15 seconds later my number was called.

Needless to say I’m angry, I didn’t even get to open my book, let alone read any of it, nor was my scone eaten, nor my coffee drunk. It took less than 5 minutes in-and-out, and my passport will be mailed to me within 2 weeks… I didn’t even get to pay a rush fee for priority, how disgustingly efficient. I felt like hanging around the waiting room for an hour afterwards just because I was so prepared, but decided it was probably best to go home.

Anyways, I’m having a crazy day at work scrambling to get something done… so blogging probably isn’t’ in my best interest.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Funny. Really, actually funny. Also you have inspired me to update the name on my passport as soon as I get back from Kelowna. :) I'm still the old me on that thing. You would think that three years would be enough time to swtich over but nooooooooooo.

Ash said...

What time of day did you go? I realized that
09 July 08 on my passport actually means July 9, 2008 not July 8, 2009 so I need to go renew also.

Hook me up with some sweet inside info on when to go because, unlike you, I actually don't want to have to read a book for a couple hours. Or ever, for that matter.

Kelly said...

First of all... you don't like to read? What? Reading is like the most theraputic bestest thing ever! Maybe you could start with short novels made for pre-teens and work your way up?

True story... my first three days in New Zealand were spent in a house in Auckland, not leaving my room because they had novels 15-30 of a set that I read as a teen... I only read 1-15 and you couldn't find them in Canada.... so yea.....

Anyways, I went on Wednesday morning at 10:30am. I filled out the renewal form online, printed it, got my photos done, took my old passport and voila, super quick and easy!

Here is a link for the simplified renewal form http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx?lang=eng . Answer the questions and then it will tell you what form to fill out. You can type it in Adobe.


Passport Canada
Sinclair Centre
Suite 241
757 Hastings Street West
Vancouver BC

Mon-Fri: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.